Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Back on track

It seems that dad's recovery may be getting back on track this morning. After running a pretty high fever and having to receive more blood pressure support meds and more aggressive respirator settings over the weekend, things have settled down again. His fever has abated and he is notably more alert, although still sedated. He was able to respond to simple commands such as opening or closing his mouth and eyes. This is a first.

We are hoping that he will be well enough soon to again start the respirator weaning process .

I will be talking to the attending physician soon, and will report back later.

In light of yesterday's article in the Times about recovery from the ICU http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/12/health/12icu.html?_r=1&em it is going to be a long climb back to health for Yale.

The obvious concern and care that I have felt from so many of my dad's friends and colleagues this week has been a great boost to me. Thank you all.

David

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting the blog. Some of us have been out of touch for awhile.
    I've known Yale to be a real scrapper ever since I met him in the 70's. I suspect that has not changed and should serve him well until he decides otherwise.
    Best wishes for Yale and the family. Please convey my regards to him when you are able.

    Steve Carson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sending me this information about Yale. I know that he is in excellent hands and hope for a full recovery as soon as possible. Our thoughts are with Yale and his family.

    Best wishes,

    Jim Morrissey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Nemerson family,
    I met yale quite often during tha last 15 years and always admired his scince and friendship. Wishing him a quick recovery and hope to see him again in my next trip to NY.
    David Varon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes ... thanks for the blog. I've always considered Yale one of the icons of our field. And he helped me a great deal emotionally when I first learned of my father's illness many years ago. Tell him he still owes me the pastrami sandwich and I plan to collect.

    All the best to Yale and the family
    Naomi Esmon

    Also --- this from Fletcdher Taylor:

    Dear Naomi,
    Thanks for the info. Yale was one of the supporters of our origional PPG application back in 1974. He always was good in a pinch,a good friend if there ever was one. Fletcher

    ReplyDelete