Saturday, January 17, 2009

The one we've been waiting for!

So, dad had the tracheotomy at bedside today at about 2:00 pm. At 6, I got a call "Your Dad is awake. He wants you." I ran down there and he was wide awake, fully alert and trying hard to make himself understood. He can MOUTH words much more clearly now, but still can't really vocalize at all. I struggled and struggled to get what he was trying to say. Finally, somewhat exasperated, I tried "You want a coffee???" Emphatic nodding, smiling, "Yes you fool, I want a COFFEE!". "Dad, you can't have a coffee yet. Doctors orders." A strong "Bullshit!!" came the reply! Yes, he's back! After some negotiation, I was able to get him, and the nurses to agree on some ice chips, which he thoroughly enjoyed. I had to fend off many requests for getting out of bed, going home, going for a ride in a wheelchair, etc. etc. I told the nurses, great job nursing him back - now, God help you!

Obviously, we still have a ways to go, but I now really have every confidence that this week will be spent gaining strength, weaning from the respirator and really getting on with healing from this frightening episode.

It is a pleasure to be able to make this post!

David

8:00 PM 1/17/2009

Elana and I came in this afternoon in the frigid weather to help David keep Yale engaged. He was definitely back, surprised at what at happened to him over the past two weeks and asking for more water (through a sponge that he could suck) and asking for dinner. He will not be allowed to have any food until some X ray results come back to make sure the surgery was successful - or something like that. Anyway, for all of you who have sent your support and are following Yale's progress I think we can say he is out of the woods and heading for recovery.

I would encourage all of you who may read this to send e-mails to Yale and to stay in touch over the next few months even if Yale does not always get back to you. Dad has done surprising well over the first year of his retirement - but the last few weeks tells me that he need a structure to get more of his old friends, proteges and collaborators back into his life...so plan to write and to visit in the weeks and months ahead.

Thanks!

Matthew

1 comment: