Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Good visit

Friends and Family-

I just got back from what was really my first true "visit" with my dad these past 11 days. He was alert and responsive for most of the day. He clearly nodded his assent or dissent on many topics. I asked if he needed more pain medications or sedation and he nodded that off decisively, which was heartening. He seemed to clearly grasp when I showed and read him a card my son made for him. I explained several times what was ailing him and how he came to be in the ICC, which he also seemed to process.

This is certainly an excellent development! While he is still running a fever, he seems to have weathered the worst of whatever flare up sent him backward over the weekend. That being said, dad still has many hurdles to overcome. He remains intubated and on fairly high respirator settings. He does not appear close to being weaned from it. He remains febrile and is clearly still fighting infections, perhaps on several fronts. Days in the ICC and on the vent just take their toll. We remain optimistic and hope with a bit more recovery he can start seeing more visitors. Please stay tuned.

As always, we are touched and buoyed by everyone's kind words, thoughts and wishes.

David

No comments:

Post a Comment